Thursday, September 28, 2006

Effective Evangelism? No Excuses!

This past week I preached on the need to be effective in our evangelism. My intro consisted of three things. One, stating how numbers and stats don't lie. Two, stating the number of unchurched people in our county. Three, stating that people always have these new concepts and ideas about Evangelism that never really seem to work.

I then proceeded to state that I had found the secret to successful evangelism on the internet, of course. So, I showed them a 4 minute video (that we bought) that I promised was the key to effective evangelim. Below is the link to watch the unbought version. Only click on the link if you have high speed internet. You will enjoy the video.

Evangelism Linebacker

Now, obviously this isn't the true secret to successful evangelism. The bottom line is that there is no "secret," the answers have always been there. There is no shortcut or easy way to do it. So, below is the handout I created that was in the bulletin (underlined words had to be filled in by the congregation).


Understanding Evangelism
4 Keys to Being More Effective

90% of Hancock County is unchurched,
translating into 50,000 people.

1. Remember to Move Your Feet .
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations...”
Matthew 28:19

2. Specify the Goal. (Focus on One Person)
Aim small, Miss small.

3. Perseverance is necessary during tough times.

Remember:
A. You are not Alone .
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”
Philippians 4:13

B. It is Worth it .
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
John 14:6

C. You will Grow from the experience.
“Consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4

D. You may have Planted a Seed for the future.
The harvest may occur when you are not there to see it.


4. Understand the Essence of Multiplication .
One can become two, two can become four (Exponential Growth).
Multiply Ourselves so others can do the same!
It’s up to Us!

(End of handout)

I tried to keep it relatively straight forward and not overwhelming and I felt I did a decent job at that.

My questions to you are:
-Do you agree with the four main points or think something should be higher (except for the obvious that we need to be in the right place with our relationship with God while evangelizing)?

-What, on top of this, would you add to make it go deeper in terms of evangelizing (maybe even to the affect of having enough points to do a 2nd sermon on the topic)?

All comments are appreciated (unless you are a member of Emergent...kidding...)

God Bless!

2 comments:

Micah Dormann said...

Phil:
Great stuff...i really feel like that is a great start for a lot of people. We look at the big picture so much that when we think of personal evangelism the harvest is almost too much! But I feel like I was challenged to take "baby steps" (What about Bob? Great movie) to evangelize to the lost...If anything the stats are stagering and your congregation should have felt that...My only suggestion, but i recognize that you're not the senior pastor, is to give a goal...like 50 people in a year.for the whole congregation that way the stats don't seem to overwhelming next time you talk about evangelism...I don't know maybe that is more modern that i would like to admit...but it's just to show you i'm not fully emerging yet!!! hahaha love ya man great stuff

Micah

Phil Strahm said...

Micah-
I did mention several times how people get overwhelmed by the "gotta save the world" mentality and end up doing nothing. That was my main purpose of narrowing it down to one specific person they could actually develop a relationship with (I mean friendship, not what you do with a different girl each summer!!! burn!)

My main purpose was to try to get them thinking and to remind them. I could tell this was "out of the box" for many of them.

Accountability is the tough part...especially if people aren't convinced, are afraid, etc.

Thanks for your comment and you have a great girlfriend...my comment no longer applies since it is nearly fall and you still are dating her! 'Atta boy!