Tony Morgan of Granger Community Church in Granger, Indiana has an interesting list. Granger Community Church (GCC) is one of the most seeker friendly and technologically enthusiastic and innovative (let's just say they try to stay cutting edge) churches in all of America. It doesn't really matter how many people go to their church, but it is a lot, trust me.
As far as I know,Tony Morgan doesn't speak on Sunday mornings, that is left mostly to Senior Pastor Mark Beeson. But Tony Morgan has a pretty interesting blog.
One interesting post was on the 10 Easy Ways to Make your Church Services More Boring.
Here's his list:
10 Easy Ways to Make Your Church Services More Boring
1. Don’t worry about when you finish. I’m sure no one has plans after the service.
2. Straight Scriptures. No stories. Jesus didn’t teach that way, but you’re a better communicator than Jesus, right?
3. Television. Movies. It’s just a phase. People don’t really need visual stimulation. They prefer talking heads.
4. Use the same service order…every week…no exceptions…ever.
5. Make more announcements.
6. Encourage your elementary school kids to sit through your services. They love lively 45-minute sermons. It’s good for them. It builds character.
7. Talk more about the past and the less about the future.
8. Play the same Chris Tomlin song every week. And, try the chorus one more time.
9. Use lots of big words that no one uses in normal, everyday life.
10.Forget relevant topics and life application. People are really only interested in hearing what you think, not why it matters to them.
Ok, you probably get the point.
The question is this: What are you doing to make your services memorable and impactful? Or, do you believe unchurched people, people who aren't in a relationship with Jesus, should just be expected to show up and put up with something they perceive as boring?
UP NEXT: THE TEN DEADLY SINS OF PREACHING