Friday, February 16, 2007

The UTEP 2 Step

Much has been made of Tim Hardaway's comments about homosexuals. If you haven't heard the full length interview then you can listen by clicking here.
I won't quote what he said...you can listen for yourself.

Tim didn't exactly speak eloquently about the issue, that much is certain.
Anyone that knows me knows I don't support the practice of homosexuality. I feel it is a sin.

I feel the media is way to far one way on the issue...and Tim, according to his quick ramblings (I hope he mispoke) is to far the other way on the issue.

NOTE: Tim did apologize and acknowledged that you should not hate anybody.

We all have our shortcomings...that's for sure. But, we shouldn't hate or exclude anyone. We should show them love and compassion, no matter what they're struggling with. The catchphrase would be "hate the sin, love the sinner." I don't love that quote...but I think you know what it means.

DO WE AS FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST ALWAYS ACCOMPLISH THIS??? DOES THE BODY, THE CHURCH ACCOMPLISH THIS ON A WEEKLY BASIS???


Anyways, Tim was my basketball hero growing up. He was my favorite player by far. I have probably a 100 of his basketball cards and some starting lineup's of Timmy. I have his jersey at home. Magic Johnson called him "the king of the crossover, he can't be stopped." His crossover was called the UTEP 2 Step (He attend University of Texas-El Paso...hence the nickname).

He could shake anyone from John Stockton and then pull up a floater over Hakeem or drop a 3 on anyone (see videos below). He had several years where he was in the top 10 in scoring, assists, and steals.

I was such a big fan of him that I had a friend who liked Chris Mullin more and to prove it in 4th grade he pulled out a rare Tim Hardaway McDonald's Upper Deck card and ripped it up just to mess with me (Luckily...I already had two of them...making mine worth more because there was now one less Hardaway McDonald's card).

Don't worry Andrew Ross...I got over you ripping up that card. In fact I balanced that out by trading a couple hundred duplicate cards for one Michael Jordan Total D card...which was worth $10 at the time, but in the next 6 months went up to $125. That my friends, is justice.

Forget Tim's comments...just enjoy the videos. He has even better highlights on other Youtube videos...but those are to hip-hop music with some explicit lyrics, so I didn't put those on for obvious reasons.


Mr Crossover - Tim Hardaway



RUN TMC

4 comments:

Mike said...

I GOT SKILLZZ!!!

Anonymous said...

How much is that Jordan card worth now?

Those are some sweet videos of UTEP-2-Step.

-Brandon

Phil Strahm said...

I Forgot to mention...Tim did apologize for his comments. He acknowledged hating anyone is not ok.

I would assume he still does not approve of homosexuality.

Riley said...

Hardaway is undervalued as a baller...he could blow by anyone!