Monday, May 07, 2007

No More Books Challenge

No, this is not an "anti-book reading" post. Instead it is a personal challenge to myself.

I usually love to read, but lately, for whatever reason I haven't got as much of it done as I would have liked. And yet I for some unknown reason continue to add books to my library. It just seems like there are so many books out there that I want to read. I just try to gain spiritual insight and insight into Youth Ministry (that's pretty much the only two genres that I read, aside from Sports Illustrated).

I love to read to stay educated and inspired. "Leaders are Readers" and "Readers are Leaders" are common phrases, probably because they are always seeking new information and insight.

So, I have issued myself a "NO MORE BOOKS CHALLENGE" that states I will not add any more books to my personal library until I read at least 4 more books.

Current Books I have that I am partway through are:

Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster

The Blogging Church by Brian Bailey and Terry Storch



















And books I own, but have not Read:
The Best Question Ever by Andy Stanley
Choosing to Cheat: Who wins when Family and Work Collide by Andy Stanley
The Gospel According to Moses: What my Jewish Friends Taught Me About Jesus By Athol Dickinson
The Irresistible Revolution: living as an ordinary radical by Shane Claiborne














Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections between Sexuality and Spirituality by Rob Bell
Help, My Kids are Hurting: A survival guide to working with Students in Pain by Marv Penner
A New Kind of Youth Ministry by Chris Folmsbee


I guess my list isn't that long...but I think I need to challenge myself before a bad habit of not taking the time to read develops.

If you gave me one of these books, say for Christmas, please don't feel bad that I haven't read them. My goal is to have all these read by the end of August.

What books do you have that you need to read?

5 comments:

tfounds said...

I have the same problem (of buying too many books before I read the others). You don't want to know what books I have that I need to read (there are too many...)

Adam and Becca said...

I'm in the middle of (and have been for awhile):
"Searching for God Knows What" by Donald Miller,
"Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge,
and "Twelve Extraordinary Women" by John MacArthur.
And I have several others sitting on my shelf calling for my attention.
-Becca

Tom C. said...

I need to read Irresistible Revolution myself before everyone else in the world has.

Eric and Amanda Roemer said...

Hey Phil,

I am sitting here in this awesome little coffee shop I come to everyday. I just finished a $3.50 latte as I was reading your article and laughing to myself. I thought about all the many many many little lectures about saving money by not buying Starbucks and how much money we were wasting. And the thought that came to my mind as I was reading was... "well at least I am enjoying the coffee and not just putting it on my shelf and feeling guilty about it." If you had put the money for all the books you've bought and haven't read into an IRA how much would they be worth in 50 years. :-)... i love you phil!

Anyway, Celebration of the Disciplines is the greatest book I have ever read. I literally place it right under the bible in importance to a healthy spiritual life. I was not able to develop this in Sheridan before we left, but I want to do a special class with youth and young adults outside of normal programing just to work through that book together over a year. It may be something that you would want to do where you are. If so talk to me about it.

The Gospel According to Moses is mind-blowing. I loved it too, just not as much as Foster's book.

Phil Strahm said...

Eric,

These books were gifts or purchased under my "continued education" budget...not one of them were purchased with my own money!

My money is in My IRA...which tastes much better to me than a strawberry latte!