Sunday, June 24, 2007

Evan Almighty Review


So I saw one of my Top 5 movies to watch this Summer.

I watched it with the youth who came to our lock-in (we had about 35 teens).

Overall, I'd give Evan Almighty a thumbs up.

It was funny, light-hearted, and pretty safe for the family.

The theology was a little weak and there were a few dumb jokes that could've been easily avoided (such as when Evan walks outside to get the newspaper...you know what I mean if you've seen the movie).

Bottom line, I enjoyed it and was never bored or wishing the movie was already over. Evan did not have quite the low's (or at least didn't act it as well as Jim Carey) as Bruce Almighty. Plus, the obvious problem with the title is that Evan never gets God's power, so the title doesn't make much sense except to tell you that it's associated with Bruce Almighty.

I'm in a good mood, so I'll give it an 8 out of 10.

I think it could have been a 9 out of 10

if they straightened out the story a little bit better and made Evan have more emotions (his emotional scenes were very short and accompanied by a big event...the "struggle" that Bruce had seemed more real, if that makes sense

It could have been a 10 out of 10 if they had more shots of Hippos (they were in the movie twice, somewhat from a distance). Why couldn't they have a shot of the hippo helping to build the ark, maybe because hippo's are dangerous, or maybe people just don't give hippos the love and attention they need and so they're always grumpy...Anyways, I digress.

Two top 5 movies down, three to go.
Have you seen it? What did you think?

1 comment:

Brandon said...

I thought it was about as good as I was expecting.