Monday, August 06, 2007

Collective Soul, Live, Counting Crows Concert!

On Friday night Michelle and I headed down to L'ville for a Collective Soul, Live, and Counting Crows Concert! They played on the field at L'ville Slugger Stadium and we were up close!

Collective Soul and Live were huge bands in the 90's and still have popularity today, just not with the teeny boppers who rule the MTV world and have no idea what rock n' roll is. The Counting Crows are a little more popular with the teeny boppers.

Michelle and I got to meet Collective Soul and get a CD and DVD autographed. They were all very nice. They are one of my favorite bands and that's why we went to the concert.





So, here's what I thought.







Collective Soul was better than I thought they'd be. They played heavier and harder and sounded like a true rock band. They kept the crowd energized, sounded really well, and mixed in some AC/DC grooves in the middle of their songs.

They played Gel, Why Pt 2, Better Now, December, Heavy, The World I know, and of course, Shine to name a few! Overall, 4.5 out of 5 stars! It would've been 5 stars if they could have had a longer set!

Live played really well too! They seemed to get through each song quickly, where as Collective Soul had a few moments where Ed, the lead singer, would talk and joke to the crowd. They played all my favorites (I Alone, The Dolphins Cry, Lightning Crashes, Heaven, All over You) so I was pleased! 4 out of 5 stars!

Then came the Counting Crows. I will admit that I wasn't as eager to hear them as the other two bands and they're not as much of a "rock band" as the other two. All I was hoping for was a good version of Mr. Jones, A long December, and Hangin Around. Michelle and I left our close spot to the stage to relax in the stands for the show.

I will try to be as nice as I can, but halfway through the Counting Crows set I had come to the realization that I would rather be at a 4th grade music recital where all the kids are playing the recorder! Yes, it was that bad!

7 of the first 8 songs were off the new album, which nobody knew, and apparently this album has no melodies or choruses. Just stories. That alone I could've lived with.

But the following made it the worst set I have seen live by a "professional band" in my life.
1. The vocals were terrible. The lead singer was off pitch the whole time.
2. The lead singer cursed often for no apparent reason.
3. The band started playing different songs at different times, unaware of what the next song on the playlist really was!
4. They played a horrid version of Mr. Jones!
They just flat out didn't seem very professional at all! Michelle and I were honestly getting a headache, so we left about 10 songs into their set, and I never leave early for anything!!! Never in my wildest dreams did I expect them to be half as bad as they were that night!
.5 out of 5 stars! I don't think I can ever listen to Counting Crows again!

A little Steak n' Shake helped us recover and we made it home around 1am. It was still worth it since Collective Soul and Live were really, really good!

Here are some pix!







2 comments:

Riley said...

The Counting Crows were TERRIBLE when I heard them too...apparently they just can't play well live and need the help of the studio.

The Bontragers said...

Michelle and I were talking about this concert the other day, and believe it or not, I went to this same line-up my senior year of high school. Funny thing... I remember a lot of the same things you put on your list - CC singing off key, and just being totally disorganized... It sounds like overall you had a good time though - and 2 out of 3 isn't bad for a concert, right? :)