Monday, September 24, 2007

Comfortably Uncomfortable

This past Sunday I preached in both morning services. I guess you could say it was the first time I spoke without having much "fluff" mixed in. It takes time, especially as a youth pastor, to gain trust and rapport with a congregation, so I made sure to abide my time.

I wasn't even planning on speaking about this topic until about a week and a half before this Sunday, although I had been prepping for the sermon for months. But I just felt it was what I was supposed to talk about. After much editing (I had repeated editing to "shrink it" down to 25 minutes) I decided I was ready.

In short, my message was about the Cross. We love to see it for all the positive adjectives it gives out...love, grace, mercy, compassion, salvation, forgiveness, and born again to name a few.

BUT, we don't always like to think about how uncomfortable the cross was for Jesus. He suffered so much, especially since he knew it was coming. His life and message was not about comfort. And yet so often, we get stuck in our comfort zone because we like it, are lazy, are no longer motivated, or just don't have any focus or clear goals.

We are called to follow Jesus' example. It's okay to be uncomfortable. We just have to find a way to be comfortably uncomfortable...where we are okay with the fact that we accept new challenges, visions, and opportunities...all in faith that God has a hold of us.

Needless to say, it is not very comfortable to tell people we need to get more uncomfortable...but it's necessary....just like Jesus' death on the cross!

Oddly enough, today I found comfort in other's talking about being uncomfortable. At least I know I'm not the only one thinking about it! Okay, the third link I definitely knew about.
Kem Meyer - Uncomfortable Post
LifeChurch.tv - Discomfort link
Phil Strahm - June 2006 "Uncomfortability"

1 comment:

Micah Dormann said...

way to continue the road less traveled. you could have dodge the topic but you stood firm Great job man sorry we had to bail on you we'll work it out soon! You're a stud!