Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Go Cubs Go!

To say I'm excited about tonight's game between the Cubs and Diamondbacks would be an understatement. Well I'm less than thrilled about it not starting until 10pm...but other than that I'm pumped!

The "Go Cubs Go" song by two time Grammy winner Steve Goodman, has been stuckin my head a lot lately. You hear it after every Cubs win at Wrigley. I guess it was originally recorded in 1984 for WGN and Mr. Goodman died 11 days before the playoffs that year at the age of 36 from Leukemia. That was the Cubs first playoff appearance since losing the '45 World Series. So, Steve Goodman never saw the Cubs in the playoffs. That is sad.

This is the 5th time the Cubs have made the playoffs in my life, but I don't recall any part of the '84 or '89 playoffs, the '98 playoffs were short, and I'm still trying to forget the '03 playoffs....

As you can see from the picture, Steve Goodman was a diehard Cubs fan!

Steve Goodman Wikipedia Page
Listen to "Go Cubs Go" on MySpace

4 comments:

Jason said...

Yes indeed!

Go Cubs Go!

Mike said...

Go Cubs Go!
Go Cubs Go!
Hey chicago whadya say? The cubs are gonna win today!!!!

Brandon said...

Things are not going well so far!

Clay Eals said...

Good to see your referencing "Go, Cubs, Go" and "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request" by Steve Goodman. He often doesn't get his due. You might be interested in an eight-year project of mine that has come to fruition -- an 800-page biography of Goodman published in May, "Steve Goodman: Facing the Music." Please check my Internet site below for more info on the book. Just trying to spread the word. Feel free to do the same!

Clay Eals
1728 California Ave. S.W. #301
Seattle, WA 98116-1958

(206) 935-7515
(206) 484-8008
ceals@comcast.net
http://www.clayeals.com