Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Sunday School Music

While teaching Sunday School I came to these conclusions:

A. Sunday School is too early in the morning
B. Some kids don't know much when it comes to "Christian" music
C. Other kids love "Christian" music, but are reluctant to listen to styles that differ from their favorite
D. Music is a major part of students lives and thus "positive" music is important

I'm not saying people should "only listen to Christian music," because I certainly don't. But students need to be aware of quality music with quality lyrics.

So, naturally, I decided that each week we would listen to a different artist/band.

I've been doing it for several months...and so far so good.

We've covered some obvious bands (David Crowder, TFK, Disciple, TobyMac, Switchfoot). We've covered some relatively new breakout bands (Robbie Seay Band, The Turning). And some bands I knew nothing about (The Afters, Emery). I have enough different bands to last the year.

I'm looking forward to sharing on the most significant Christian albums of the 80's and 90's

The 80's: Stryper - To Hell With the Devil









The 90's: dc Talk - Jesus Freak










Which got me to thinking, WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT CHRISTIAN ALBUM OF THE 2000's???

Is it Switchfoot's "The Beautiful Letdown"....I don't know, what do you think???

5 comments:

derryprenkert said...

I'm trying to think what else could be???
P.O.D. - Satelite is the other one I could think of.

Maybe you could make a case for one of a Chris Tomlin or David Crowder; or potentially a Passion CD?

I'd say The Beautiful Letdown beats all those.

Phil Strahm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phil Strahm said...

I thought about P.O.D.

There have been a lot of really great worship albums...but they haven't made as big of an impact in the mainstream, but I guess I said "important" and Tomlin/Crowder and the Passion cd's have really made a unique mark.

danrace said...

I dunno...I'm a little bit outta touch with the music scene these days...but I do own all 3 albums in question....and I think that Beautiful Letdown is waaay too much of a crossover album to be considered as significant as either To Hell With the Devil or Jesus Freak. Both albums (and bands fot that matter) were boldly Christian .... evidenced even in the name of the 2album titles. The Beautiful Letdown is just too subtle (sorta like how everyone in the 80's considered U2's Joshua Tree to be a Christian Album...in case you younger guys weren't paying attention in 1987..ha ha). The beautiful Letdown: Popular...yes. Significant...my vote is not really...no. I think Third Days LiveWire DVD album (it's a collection and a Live Album at the same time...and 3rd day is a great live band...but they really are from the 90's so that probably doesn't count here)....or something by Jeremy Camp will prove over time to be more significant. But who knows....there's still 2 more years of music before 2000's are over.

Phil Strahm said...

Excellent point about Switchfoot and their positive and yet somewhat ambiguous lyrics...Even when I saw them at Ichthus (A christian music festival) they never used the words "Christ, Salvation, etc)...but just words like purpose and encouragement to not conform.

I thought about that with Switchfoot but still chose them because I couldn't think of anyone else.

So, maybe it should be Chris Tomlin's Arriving or a Passion CD.

I don't vote for 3rd Day or Camp.