Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Church Splits

It seems like there is always the potential of a church split anytime a church takes a risk and inserts change in an attempt to make a greater impact for the kingdom.

Some people don't like change (service structure, building additions, community involvement, etc)...and there are many other reasons too.

Clayton King has some really insightful thoughts about church splits and the major reason that they occur here.

Here's a hint: It starts with a "p" and ends with "ower struggle."

Here's an excerpt, but you should read the whole thing:
The real question is, “Will I set aside my personal preferences in order to see the body of Christ grow and mature, reaching the lost in our community and building the kingdom worldwide?” If I am unwilling to set aside my personal preferences, that attitude will transform into an ugly, evil sense of entitlement, which will lead me to get rid of anyone I disagree with.

1 comment:

hoosier reborn said...

Going through some of this stuff now at our church. It is a power struggle left in the wake of poor leadership style that is threatening to split the congregation.

by the way-I hope that your youth group was not affected by the tragedy in Greenfield over the weekend.