Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cookin' up a Sermon

This is how it works in my world...as simplified as I can make it.

1. Senior Pastor gives me a Sunday to preach...usually with at least a month's notice.
2. Check file of sermon thoughts about topics I feel are on my heart, need to be addressed, and may not be on the mind/heart of the Senior Pastor (why say what he already has and says better than me anyways?)
3. Pray over what passage/topic I should preach until I know.
4. Have lots of "little" moments where I quickly scribble down thoughts on paper, napkin, forearms, and anything else.
5. Assemble all the "little" thoughts onto one document and begin to figure out the true direction that God wants me to go.
6. Think maybe this isn't a good topic to preach on...get a little worried.
7. Have a few epiphany moments while looking at scripture and notes.
8. Double check to make sure I can clearly and concisely state the point of the message.
9. Look for analogies, stories, video clips, etc that can help the message hit home.
10. Think maybe this isn't a good topic to preach on...get a little worried.
11. Sit down and crank out a rough draft...then let it collect dust for a few days
12. Come back and make adjustments...seek input
13. Get frustrated and think it's crap...then let it collect dust for a few days
14. Get re-inspired and ready to speak...put together finishing touches on media
15. Pray, Pray, Pray


Thoughts? Recommendations?

1 comment:

Brandon said...

It's always a process for me too. Good Times, Bad Times, and ultimately relying on God to pull me through!