Sunday, November 02, 2008

Christmas Thoughts - $, Giving, and Jesus

It's November...so time to think about Christmas.

Michelle and I, as Christians/believers/followers of Christ/whatever other term you want to use try to give our time, money, etc throughout the year.

We tithe, we give to missions, we volunteer, we try to care for people in little ways...and we try to be responsible without getting carried away when it comes to "Christmas Shopping."

Advent Conspiracy has been gaing momentum the last few years. Watch the video for more thoughts on it... What if EVERYONE scaled back on Christmas, not to save themselves money, but to truly give what was needed (instead of lotions, sweaters, and gift cards...don't get me wrong, I love gift cards...lotions, not so much)?

What to do?


Of course, there are other options, such as World Vision's Gift Catalog to buy such things as goats, ducks, education, well water construction, and resources to provide hope for sexually exploited girls.

FIXMAS is a new one on my radar. They list charities to choose from here.

Let the inner struggle begin...

3 comments:

Mike said...

Definitely something to think about. Thanks for making me have to struggle over my Christmas shopping now!!!

Jaime said...

Maybe I will buy a goat or some chickens for Christmas. Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

Something to think about indeed. Thanks for making me think about Christmas in a different way.
-Brian