Monday, August 16, 2010

NFL Player Answers The Call

God puts different calls on each of our lives. Sometimes they are easy to follow. Sometimes they can be difficult. Often they don't always make sense to people who don't follow Christ.

Take the recent example of NFL running back Glen Coffee, who recently retired from the NFL at age 23 in order to go back to school and see where God leads him in sharing his faith.

Coffee was quoted as saying "I've already told Christ it's time to go, I've already rung the bell."

In the face of uncertainty Coffee chose to respond anyway:
"I don't know what call God has for my life, but it wasn't football. ... I'll be happier, not necessarily because I'm without football, but because I'm letting Him do his work. Whether it was leaving football or leaving something else, another job, it doesn't matter. I'll be happy because I'm following His will."

Excerpt from Alabama Live article
"Coffee seems likely to enter the ministry or a similar career in the religious field, but said he won't force it. "That will come to me," he said. "There are people asking me to speak right now, so that ministry comes. That's a ministry in itself.""


"I appreciate his honesty," 49ers coach Mike Singletary said, "and I appreciate him not coming out here and going through the motions." (Note: Singletary also confesses his faith in Jesus Christ and speaks openly about it in person and as a guest speaker)

No comments: