Thursday, March 07, 2013

What My 2 Year Old Taught Me About Leading By Example

I have a 2 year old.  I can teach him fun sayings (I say "God Bless" - he says "America") or even to count to ten in Spanish.  I also tell him he can only play catch with balls or stuffed animals.  But, then I throw his sippy cup across the room to my wife to save myself a trip.  Guess what he wants to throw?  On a side note, I did teach AJ to shovel snow!

Words are powerful.  But, so are our actions.

This is true for parenting.  
Proverbs 22:6 - Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. (Note: this is a principle, not a guarantee).

And there's this CNN article from Princeton Theological Seminary professor Kenda Creasy Dean.  She says parents who perform one act of radical faith in front of their children convey more than a multitude of sermons and mission trips...But it's not enough to be radical -- parents must explain "this is how Christians live," she says.

This is also true as a Christian.  If we don't shine like stars to those around us and show that our lives are better now than before because of Jesus, then what have we really done?
Philippians 2:14-16 - Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe 16 as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. (italics mine)

Christians - be intentional with your faith.  Know who you want to be, how you want others to see you, and how God wants you to live.  Be intentional with your attitude, time, actions, and money.  Don't just wish for the best.

This post is a part of my 2013 Lent back to blogging decision.  To see my other posts click here

No comments: